Artisian Asparagus Quiche
This dish wowed even myself as it was made with eggs that were literally laid that day – not all of us have that advantage or luck let alone chickens in their yard, but it’s an easy twist to everyday quiche that pleases the vegetarians to real men who eat quiche. Perfect to bring to a potluck as well. Light tasting yet rich, airy and cheesy, it’s oh so tasty!…
- 1 bunch of fresh baby asparagus (you’ll need about 18 stalks depending upon size)
- 1/3 cup: chopped scallions (2 or 3 stalks) or 1/3 cup fresh sliced chives
- 4 slightly beaten eggs
- 1-1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1-1/2 cups of half-n-half, light cream or milk
- 1 cup shredded cheese, use a combination of two or more cheeses such as goat, swiss and gouda or swiss, cheddar and monteray jack for some pizazz.
- 1 pie crust (pre-made ok to use…so it’s ok to cheat on this step my peeps)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg (preferably fresh if possible)
- Equipment Needed: One working oven at 450 to start, fresh chicken eggs just laid (just kidding), bag of dried beans out of their plastic, tin foil to help with baking pie shell blind (not you but the pie shell of course), steamer for asparagus, couple of bowls to make work easier and a cookie sheet to make clean up easier by placing cookie sheet under pastry shell when baking quiche in avoiding any spills that may occur.
The How To:
- Preheat oven at 450 degrees and take pre-made pastry shell, and prick bottom with fork all over. Either use blind cooking method (bag of dried beans inside tin foil and place inside pastry shell to help prevent pastry shell from puffing up on bottom) or take empty pie shell and place on top of pastry shell.
- Bake pie shell for 5 minutes till pastry shell is set slightly.
- Take out of oven and let cool.
- If you have a steamer, steam asparagus for five minutes – keep them whole at this point – or blanch them in boiling water for three minutes then place in cold water bath to stop cooking. Reserve up to twelve pieces whole and chop up rest to have up to one cup of chopped asparagus.
- Take shredded cheese into a bowl and stir in flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder, stir till well incorporated.
- In other bowl, place eggs and whisk. Add half-n-half , chopped asparagus, chopped scallions and shredded cheese mixture in with eggs.
- Turn oven down to 325 and place entire mixture into pastry shell.
- Take remaining whole steamed asparagus stalks and place on top of of unbaked quiche having the top part of the asparagus pointing towards pie shell rim (see photo).
- Take nutmeg and sprinkle it on top of quiche evenly as possible.
- Place unbaked quiche on the center of cookie sheet and place in oven on the middle rack.
- Bake quiche at 325 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. It’s ready when a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Let quiche set for at least 10 minutes prior to serving.
- Call troops to table – serve warm or at room temperature and enjoy telling your troops how you stole the fresh eggs from the local farmer.
See this recipe and more of my Divaliscious Recipes at Artisian Asparagus Quiche @ Group Recipes