Superb Touch Down and Score Chicken Wings – A How To by Divaliscious
Here’s my take on delicious and crispy chicken wings which are not hot but have a savory and complex taste that will keep people guessing what your secret ingredient is…mind you there are many!
If you are up to the chore -and who isn’t well here it is…and have your self one heck of a super bowl party!
- ***The list of the ingredients is as long as I could make it (just kidding) though it is longer than anticipated – but it is surely worth all the ingredients as the chicken wings marinade over this great marinade
- ***I also created the recipes for the required spice mixes for those that are handy in your cupboard and for those who might not make it to the store in time…
- ***btw – I was going to call this recipe “Everything in your Fridge and Cupboards Chicken Wings” – rofl
- Here goes anything and everything:
- 1 large package of chicken wings (24 wings in total) cut up removing tips (reserve to make broth see separate recipe for wing tip gingered chicken broth) OR your choice chicken parts and do this on the grill
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup sugar (white or brown)
- 4 tablespoons soy – reduced sodium
- 3 tablespoons fresh scallions minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh garlic minced (3-4 cloves)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons balsamic syrup or vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger minced/grated (dry would be fine I am sure)
- 2 tablespoons jerk seasoning (if you don’t have it, measure out roughly and use equal parts of the following: allspice, paprika, cumin, red chili flakes, pepper, turmeric, celery salt, thyme and celery salt)
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons of Zahatar – see recipe for this at: my grouprecipes.com page
- 1 tablespoon freshly dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon freshly dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (freshly grounded would be prefect)
- Zest and juice of one lemon (try and not let seeds get into bowl)
- The real trick to having juicy delicious chicken wings with any recipe is to not overcook them, I prefer not to par-boil them nor fry them prior to baking, but simply roasting them in the oven on a cookie sheet or in a roasting pan than had been lined with tinfoil and placed on top of a cookie cooling rack that’s placed inside the roasting pan to allow them to crisp and let fat drip away.
- Also, do you want a dipping sauce for later when serving up your chicken wings? Then make extra marinade (without putting raw chicken in it of course) and set aside to heat up later for 10-15 minutes in a sauce pan. Add a little more ketchup if you would like.
- Cut up all the chicken wings – reserve tips if you would like to make my “winging it gingered chicken broth”
- Rinse all cut up chicken wings and set aside momentarily.
- In extra large bowl, place all ingredients listed above.
- Mix marinade till all in combined.
- Place all the chicken wings into the bowl with the marinade and using hands which is best or spoon, move chicken all around coating all chicken pieces with the marinade.
- Let marinade for at least four hours or even over night for best flavor. Stir a couple times during the marinating time to ensure all chicken parts have been well coated.
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees, using either a deep roasting pan lined with tinfoil for easier cleaning or “coated” cookie sheets and spread out chicken wing parts.
- Place in oven and let bake in oven for 20-30 minutes.
- Open up oven door, with potholders of course, take out pan or cookie sheets and using tongs or fork, turn over each chicken wing, and return to oven.
- Let bake for 30-40 minutes more and then set them up on a plate to be devoured by your friends and family.
- Serve with blue cheese dressing, carrots and/or celery – and enjoy!