Grandma Nelles Creamed Chipped Beef Recipe
My Granny’s version of an old favorite, served for breakfast with poached eggs like ‘eggs benedict’ gone chipped beef, or served alone on toast or biscuits…creamy, comforting and super easy and quick.
- 1 package of dried chipped beef – usually found by the bacon in your grocery store. I prefer packaged versus in a jar
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- 1-2 tablespoons flour (start with one tablespoon)
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 bowl with water
- dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
- fresh cracked pepper
- warm toast or biscuits for serving
- poached eggs if you wish to serve it like ‘eggs benedict’
- In bowl with water or under running water, rinse chipped beef to remove any excess salt during its curing process.
- Slice or pull apart with hands the chipped beef.
- Place chipped beef in skillet or pot, and add butter.
- Let chipped beef sautée and get a little crispy on its edges.
- Sprinkler flour over melted butter and chipped beef to make a roux
- Add milk slowly and with spoon stir and cook until thickened.
- If too thick for your liking, add a little more milk to thin it out.
- Serve it up over warm toast, biscuits or even a poached egg on a buttered english muffin for that eggs benedict look.
- Pour chipped beef with ‘gravy’ over eggs, biscuits, toast
- Sprinkle top with fresh cracked pepper and optional cayenne
- Serve at once, and watch the plates get licked up!
This is an affordable and quick dish to serve on those occasions you really want something comforting – albeit it’s naughty with the salt content of the chipped beef, but oh oh so good. This is also great to serve for brunches and even a quick lunch when it’s rainy and damp outside.