Leahs Scalloped Peaches Dessert
Warm succulent baked peaches with a different twist, since it is made in layers. A crowd favorite and super easy to prepare – a fun different dessert to make now that peaches are coming into season. Serve up with a dollop of whipped cream – and you got that ‘oh my – and oh yes some more please’ factor going on at your dining room table.
- Preheat oven 400 degrees
- 1 greased casserole dish with lid.
- 3 cups peeled and sliced fresh peaches (frozen ok, but…)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1/2 cup water
- ***2 cups of buttered crumbs:
- 2 cups fine dry bread crumbs (plain, unseasoned, ok to use stale bread or italian bread)
- 1 stick of melted butter – 1/4 cup shortening
- Great recipe to bring in the kids with since its that easy.
- Melt butter for bread crumbs, sprinkler over bread crumbs and stir, set aside.
- Add almond extract to your water and set aside.
- My mother always taught me to use some almond flavoring when doing anything with peaches, since the inside nut of the peach pit resembles the almond, and it truly brings out the peach flavor big time! – Same with cherries too people.
- Layer in your greased casserole dish, buttered crumbs, peaches.
- With each peach layer, sprinkle a little of the brown sugar, then repeat until finished with the ingredients, ending with a layer of your buttered bread crumbs.
- Pour the water and almond extract over all and put lid on your casserole.
- Place on middle rack in your oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and bake for another 15 minutes without the lid.
- Spoon out and serve up with fresh whipped cream, add a sprig of mint to be extra fancy. Enjoy!