Chef Maven’s Brown Rice Stir Fry with Tofu
It was suggested to me to make extra brown rice due to its long cooking time, and thereby having extra brown rice available and at the ready for other recipes like salads and in this case, my brown rice stir fry with tofu. The meal I made tonight was delicious, healthy, filling and the fresh vegetables were still crisp. I will certainly make this again. Let’s get cooking…
Chef Maven’s Brown Rice Stir Fry with Tofu Recipe:
Tofu tips: in preparing your tofu for cooking, choose extra firm or firm tofu. Taking it out of its package, grab two clean dishtowels (or paper towels) and several plates. Place the dishtowel on top of one plate, place tofu block on top of the dishtowel, then add another dishtowel to top the tofu and then finally add a couple of plates to weigh down the tofu. This helps to drain the tofu. You are squeezing the tofu gently by weight of the dinner plates – I did this for 30 minutes with excellent results.
You will be marinating the tofu before sauteing it in a skillet while your other ingredients are being cooked in a second skillet.
Equipment: two skillets, bowl for marinade, bowl for stirring up eggs, spatula or other utensil to help stir your ingredients.
Ingredients: This makes four large servings as a main meal and takes just under 20 minutes to make.
- 1 block tofu (firm or extra firm)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- salt & pepper
- sesame oil
- olive oil
- 3-5 green onions/scallions (depending upon their size)
- 2 cups mushrooms – sliced
- 2-3 eggs
- 2-3 cups cooked brown rice (I had left over brown rice with fresh vegetables that I used)
- Tofu marinade: 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes, fresh cracked pepper, 2 tablespoons soy sauce (I used the sauce I had from a restaurant that comes with the pot stickers), 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, 1 teaspoon honey, 1 clove garlic – minced.
- Make up tofu marinade and once tofu has drained, cut up tofu into 1-1/2 ” cubes and place into marinade and set aside for 30 minutes or even over night.
- In one heavy skillet, light burner and allow skillet to get hot over medium heat (approx. five minutes), then add 1 teaspoon of the sesame oil and 1 tablespoon of olive oil to skillet. Carefully place cut up tofu into pan. Do not move tofu – simply allow it to cook for five minutes before turning over to brown the other sides. Reserve marinade.
- While tofu cooks, add a little oil to the second skillet and add sliced mushrooms and allow to cook. Remove cooked mushrooms and add to reserved marinade.
- Break eggs into a bowl, whisk well, then add to skillet, to cook eggs scrambled for the stir fry – when still soft, remove cooked eggs from pan and add to the mushrooms.
- If you have fresh vegetables you would like to add to your stir fry, now is the time. I had precooked brown rice that contained fresh veggies such as red bell pepper and zucchini, so I used that….Next grab your cooked brown rice, and add a little sesame oil, if needed and add to skillet – let get heated through for just a few minutes.
- At this point, your tofu is finished cooking, so take your cooked eggs and mushrooms with the reserved marinade and pour over your cooking rice. Stir till well combined, then add tofu to your dish and voila – ready for serving up.
- With your sliced green onions/scallions, sprinkle them on top of your cooked dish and call the people to the table.
This stir fry is also great cold. The amount of mushrooms gives it a meaty flavor for those that craving meat while your kids won’t even know they are eating brown rice.